Module 1 Workshop for Physical Education Teachers successfully held in Gujarat!
Excellence in Learning and Management of Sports and Physical Literacy (ELMS) Sports Foundation, under the patronage of Sports Authority of Gujarat (SAG), has successfully completed Module 1 workshop of the ‘Train the Trainers’ program.
This workshop, which is one of the biggest project of its kind in the country in the field of Physical Education, was attended by over 150 Physical Education (PE) teachers from the 4 zones of Gujarat. This training program was delivered by the ELMS team of experts in Bhavnagar, Gujarat between 26th July and 2nd August.
The topics covered in this workshop included the following topics:
- Role of Education: The topics touched upon in the session ranged from role of a teacher, goal of education, respect and trust, and success in sports. They would be able to identify the right understanding of relationship with human beings and physical facilities as well as the importance of respect and trust as the base for a teacher student relationship
- Self & Body: These sessions focused on human being as a co-existence of self and body and the difference between knowing, assuming, recognizing and fulfilment of the self and body.
- Lesson Plans: The significance of planning lessons in teaching and training, which includes creating goals and the sequence of steps to achieve that goal. By the end of the session, teachers were able to detail the key points in planning a lesson in physical education and assimilate components of physical literacy and value education in the lesson plan.
- Child Development: In this session, the focus was on helping the Physical Education teachers understanding development, understand the different learning styles and the various stages of development of a child. The aim of this session was to help the teachers be more pro-active in dealing with children at different stages of their development during Physical Education classes in school.
- Understanding Child Psychology: In this sessions on Child Psychology for the PE Teachers, the trainers touched upon topics such as emotions, the concept of learning and learning styles that different children fall into.
- Workout Sessions: In addition to these sessions, each day was bracketed by workouts in the mornings and evenings. These carefully-curated workouts gave the PE Teachers a glimpse of adding variety and fun to their classes for their students.
We are extremely grateful for the partnership, guidance and support from Sports Authority of Gujarat (SAG). Members of the Sports Authority of Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh Department of Education graced our workshop to interact with the Physical Education teachers and encourage them in their journey.
Speaking about the importance of the workshop, one of the experts from ELMS said, “Helping PE Teachers understand Child Psychology and Child Development is essential in helping them create an environment that encourages every child to participate in physical activity. This is not only important in terms of health or to get medals, but also to facilitate the overall growth as a person.”
Former World and Olympic champion and mentor of ELMS, Abhinav Bindra: “We would like to thank all the teachers who took the time out to attend this training workshop. We look forward to their continued support to make this program a success.”
Chief National Coach for the Indian Badminton team and mentor of ELMS, Pullela Gopichand said: “I would like to congratulate all the PE teachers who have successfully completed the first module of the Train the Trainers Program. It is their participation and enthusiasm that drives us in our journey towards Physical Literacy”.
The encouraging response and participation by all the PE Teachers in the sessions has set the foundation for more such workshops in the future.